Lots of people in California have vanity license plates. This is not something I would ever think to do. But, license plates here can have up to 7 characters, which does give you a lot more freedom to make words and cryptic phrases. Some of them are very clever. Some are stupid. At any rate, since over half the time you spend in your car in LA you are probably stuck in traffic (not an actual statistic, but I’m probably not too far off), trying to figure out the meaning of these plates becomes like solving a puzzle and gives you something to do besides getting pissed at other drivers.
Here are some of the notable ones I can remember:
* LAKER R: First, yes, you can use a heart symbol in your license plate (stars are also available). This is odd to me. Second, this person is obviously a fan of the Lakers, as also evidenced by the Lakers flags covering the outside of the car. Lakers fans are REALLY obnoxious.
* IANIM8: This car belongs to one of the animators at the studio where I work.
* GDLTLCAR: I could be wrong on this, but the car was very old looking and proudly displayed a bumper sticker that said it had over 150,000 miles on it. My guess is “Good Little Car.” This was a few years ago, so it’s probably dead by now.
* GRR888T: Tony the Tiger, perhaps? Idiot.
* GLF WHR: Now, this was actually one I saw back in Massachusetts. It stumped me – the best I could come up with was “Golf Whore.” I’m open to other suggestions on that one.